#My Dress My Choice
She clung to herself as they shouted
A tear dropped to the ground as they jeered at her
A man slapped her hand on her back and she stumbled forward
She hit the ground fast and her cheek felt the hard gravel

She tasted sand in her mouth
Irritating her soul to the core
A woman came forth thrust a khanga in her hand.
That’s when her shame washed away.

How barbaric and backward this society was
How men fought back at the disappoints of a system
A system that has rendered them jobless and
At the mercy of their crude actions.

How I chose to dress is for me
It’s a portrayal of who I am
How I choose to walk is for me
A portrayal of my freedom

As she walked away she felt a relief,
A rush of spirit and breathed freely,
Never caring that the khanga clang so close
Disappointed but with hope of a proper society




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A COMMODITY SO RARE

SPECIAL DEDICATION TO DAD

Modern day adaptation of Rapunzel