Quarantine -Week One


Quarantine 
Week One of Covid-19
 The atmosphere is pense, no one knows the specifics, everyone is afraid and passing their ignorance to others. Everywhere you go it’s all about the corona menace. It is on the news, it’s on every Whatsapp forwards and it’s on everyone's lips. My children are scared of it and what it holds. My daughter exclaimed today that she does not want to die before she even gets her own children! She is scared that corona will ruin her future. She has everything planned out and is wondering why corona wants to spoil her plans. My son is unperturbed by all the drama and brings drama of his own. His cousin tries to touch him as they are playing and he comes screaming" Mum, look at Hillary, he wants to give me corona!” He responds well to the many requests to wash his hands and asks why he has to do it over and over.
Indoor Games
The children have been indoors for three days and are getting restless. They have watched cartoon, played with their toys, played with each other and are now looking for new ways to pass their time. They go to the kitchen, my son ravages through the kept away bottles and packages them in a bag. My daughter cuts papers into small pieces stating that is money. They are now playing different roles, one is a policeman, and the other is a shopkeeper. Soon they are done with role play and are now begging for food.
Playing out
I decide to cook a packet of mandazi hoping that it will be eaten for a week but in three days it's over. The children have convinced me that they are going to be safe within the compound. One of the friends brings out a sanitizer and is asking them all to sanitize themselves before they begin playing. They manage to convince me that they will be fine and that is how my mandazis end up being distributed by my son to his friends. I am in the bedroom working, but each time he gets, he creeps to the kitchen, picks a few mandazis and rushes out. They would come in each eating time, remember to wash their hands and leave as soon as they are done. I have been told of plans to have a picnic and have been asked to contribute towards this. I am against this idea of them sitting out to eat as a group. They assure me that they have with them the sanitizer that will be used at all times.
Reading
            I decide they have had enough of playing and ask that they settle down to read. My son is unconvinced that he should be doing homework. He says that he is on holiday and should be playing. The sister and the cousin are anxious to see their work and so he settles down nonetheless to concentrate on his work. He has trouble with his b and d, I ensure that he starts with this.
Food Strategy
We have tried to stock food to push through the quarantine period. However, it is being consumed at an alarming rate by the children as they always are looking for something to munch after every few hours. I have a strategy to minimize the cooking ensuring that the food I cook for supper is enough to be taken for lunch. Water is being consumed at an alarming rate too and since we cannot manage to go out for refills for fear of Corona. I have resulted to the use of "water guard".
Passing Time
People have had to find creative ways to pass their time too. I have gone back to crocheting to pass my time. I am working on a bed cover and the pattern is coming up pretty interesting. I am struggling with my collection of threads. It is running out and I need to stock some for the season if it prolongs. I engage in my all favorite pastime- watching movies with my husband who has his eyes on gardening. He has also found himself in the kitchen several times taking a turn to cook. Corona has brought with it creativity that is amazing me in every way. I look at my blog and discover that I have been too busy this year to write anything. I decide since I am free I should draft something and this piece is born.
Communication and Information
We are grateful for social media, the use of phones which have made it possible to call our loved ones and inquire how they are fairing on. We can get updates on social media on any good news about Covid-19.The television has also become our best friend with every update coming in live. Our hope at the moment is that the virus does not drag on, that we can be able to go back to our lives. I have called my small brother who is in the village to enquire how prepared they are with the virus and is wondering what the hullabaloo is all about. He mentions that the village people have no idea of what the virus is and are engaging in their normal duties undisturbed.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A COMMODITY SO RARE

Modern day adaptation of Rapunzel

SPECIAL DEDICATION TO DAD