"TRADITION CALLS"


1
It was morning again,
The bird’s rhythmic sounds rent the air,
The crowing of the cock woke the humans,
Grandma was out milking.

I was getting up when I saw it,
I screamt out of sheer anguish,
Grandpa called after me,
Mamma ran to my room.

I stared at her perplexed,
She saw it then and smiled,
She looked so happy,
You are now a woman!.

I was confused,
I felt dirty,
I could not hold back the tears,
Her words resounded,
“She is now ready!”

Grandma sang that day,
Mamma laughed all day,
Grandpa drank Chang’aa over and over,
Pappa roasted the meat in the afternoon.
I heard them whisper,
He was coming at last,
To get that which he had promised,
I kept to my room.

Visitors filled our homestead,
The party began,
Everyone danced and sang to the music,
I remained in my room distraught.

Mamma came after me,
My favourite Cousin Joy at her side,
Flower,she called me by my nickname,
“ A man has sought your hand in marriage”,


2
Festivities lasted a month,
Joyous glances I received wherever I passed,
I had mixed reactions I was too young,
Joy said he was handsome I should accept.

Accept I did, the ceremony was grand,
Pappa received seven cows and three goats,
I was told he was rich,
He will keep me well.

Within months I was heavy with child,
My first presumed heir,
I felt so tired and consumed,
He kept his word and treated me well.

He came at last,
It was in the evening,
Outside in the garden,
The pain excruciating, but his handsome face made me smile.

He looked so much like him,
The family celebrated of their good fortune,
Sadly, it lasted only a week,
Then he was gone, far to the wind,
I cried all day and night,
“A bad omen”, they said.


3
I was clensed and purified by the healer,
Ancestors beseeched to provide healing,
My husband was quiet for a very long time,
I told him one night.

His smile came back,
He took care of me this time round,
He had his sister cook when I could not,
I was so happy.

The pain was unbearable,
Lasted two nights,
Early in the morning,
It came and I anxiously waited.

It was a girl,
She cried so warmly,
Her tiny hands clang to my finger,
After a month, they proclaimed she would last.

Many came after her,
Am now a grandma,
I danced today,
My daughter came home with her suitor.


4
The memories are still fresh,
The children make it worthwhile,
Am lucky to have made it,
Many girls’ suffer because of traditions.

Young naïve and innocent,
Harsh and cruel tradition,
Robs them of their childhood and youth,
They learn to carry heavy burdens too early.

Life has been generous to me,
Sadly my husband is not around,
To watch them grow,
As he passed away a few years back.

I advocate for young girls,
To study and have a career,
Enjoy what I could not,
For life is short and must be lived well.

“Grandma, Mama needs you”,
She is almost ready,
I must rush to help deliver my 10th grandchild,
I smile for am at peace now, the happiest of them all.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A COMMODITY SO RARE

SPECIAL DEDICATION TO DAD

Modern day adaptation of Rapunzel