Motherhood
No one tells you how tiresome it would be, how fast you have to make decisions or how fair you have to be. They all brag at how happy it will make you, how proud and how the memories will make you smile all through. The day i discovered i was pregnant with my first child, I was scared at first even after i had the reassurance of my husband that all will be well. I thought of how embarrassing it will be to show around with my bump. I wondered at how i will feel going out to the market, the people’s stares if it would affect me.I worried too much, cried over nothing and lost so much weight vomiting off what i ate. It was an experience that one cannot explain without mentioning, pain, nostalgia, insomnia and cravings. I often wondered what gender it would be, wanted to be surprised at the hospital so opted for no scanning and it paid off.

The love i felt the entire time was immense, spoilt for choice on what to eat, cared in every way. I must admit i miss that attention, it makes you feel so important. The day the pain came was on a Sunday, i had walked for so long the day before seems the exercise had enabled the baby to come early by two weeks. My experience is one that makes me smile everytime,first because of the ignorance I had, I had not shopped for the baby, wanted to do it the last week so with the labor pains I had, walked to the supermarket and picked only what  I could for what the baby would wear when I gave birth. My girl should know that it was her father who had to go the market to shop her other clothes that she wore for the next three months. So at the hospital, no one tells you how to push, they assume you should know, no one tells you when the pain would subside. The joy is what you feel when it’s all over and you hear that cry that confirms you are indeed a new mum. So it was with happiness that I carried home a bouncing baby girl. I knew what name I would give her if she turned out to be a girl. Samantha meaning God has answered. If it turned out to be a boy then it would be Samuel. With my second born it was a smooth ride all through. In comparison, while I vomited for nine months with Samantha, with Simon it was just glimpses when triggered by acidity. While I lost kilograms with Samantha, I gained a few with Simon proving that every pregnancy is unique.

Children need to make us happy but the talking one has to do makes it all so tiresome. The bigger they get the more you talk, it’s always don’t do that, don’t touch that…There is also the fact that you must be a judge in every fight, you must not overlook the bruises, you must be the doctor at times so it is evident when you visit every house that has children you will come across Calpol, Scotts Emulsion, Spirit just to mention a few. You must be the one that cooks what they want, you must be the cook that they are proud of. They should be able to brag what they have eaten, be it Ugali it should be with so much pride. This culminates what makes motherhood so difficult to fathom. You attain so many roles that require you to take with stride be it a judge, cook, teacher all for the love of the children. One should not forget that there is always the “first born” who is your husband who wants the lion share of the mother’s attention.


I treasure every moment I have my boy and girl, they make us so happy Amos and I. Motherhood is tough, every sacrifice we make is worth everything. The choices we make everyday defines what kind of parents we end up being. The anxiousness we feel every time we are faced with a challenge is unimaginable. To take one step at a time is what each parent does since every day is different.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A COMMODITY SO RARE

SPECIAL DEDICATION TO DAD

Modern day adaptation of Rapunzel